Thursday, October 11, 2012

Writing about diversity sparks anonymous letters



Just like Barbara Brown, I too received some anonymous letters filled with hate after I wrote a letter to the editor about diversity in Kingsport. None of the letters were signed, and all the postmarks were not from this area. They were telling me that the KKK was still around, and if I knew what was good for me, to keep quiet.

And on Bill Bovender’s column, I could not believe he was telling the miners that the fault of the coal shutdown was the president’s, when in the next few days the Times-News reported that the owners of the coal mines were telling their own people that they had a stockpile, and needed to work it down.

Most Americans should have studied their local history and government lessons and know that the president cannot pass laws. It’s up to Congress.

So if you want something done, get Mr. Roe to do something instead of faulting our president.


Douglas S. Releford
Kingsport